Saxenda® (liraglutide) injection 3 mg is an injectable prescription medicine
Saxenda® addresses one of your body’s natural responses to weight loss:
- Your body naturally produces an appetite hormone known as glucagon-like-peptide (GLP-1) that helps to regulate your hunger
- Saxenda® works like GLP-1 by regulating your appetite, which can lead to eating fewer calories and losing weight
What is Saxenda®?
Saxenda® (liraglutide) injection 3 mg is an injectable prescription medicine used for adults with excess weight (BMI ≥27) who also have weight-related medical problems or obesity (BMI ≥30), and children aged 12-17 years with a bodyweight above 132 pounds (60 kg) and obesity to help them lose weight and keep the weight off. Saxenda® should be used with a reduced-calorie diet and increased physical activity.
- Saxenda® has an active ingredient, liraglutide, and should not be used together or with other GLP-1 receptor agonist medicines.
- It is not known if Saxenda® is safe and effective when taken with other prescriptions, over-the-counter medicines, or herbal weight-loss products.
- It is not known if Saxenda® is safe and effective in children under 12 years of age.
- It is not known if Saxenda® is safe and effective in children aged 12 to 17 years with type 2 diabetes.
How to use Saxenda®?
Inject your dose of Saxenda® under the skin (subcutaneously) in your stomach area (abdomen), upper leg (thigh), or upper arm, as instructed by your health care provider. Do not inject into a vein or muscle.
What are the possible side effects of Saxenda®?
Saxenda® may cause serious side effects, including:
- inflammation of the pancreas (pancreatitis). Stop using Saxenda® and call your healthcare provider right away if you have severe pain in your stomach area (abdomen) that will not go away, with or without vomiting. You may feel pain from your stomach area (abdomen) to your back.
- gallbladder problems. Saxenda® may cause gallbladder problems, including gallstones. Some gallbladder problems need surgery. Call your health care provider if you have any of the following symptoms: pain in your upper stomach (abdomen), fever, yellowing of your skin or eyes (jaundice), or clay-colored stools.
- increased risk of low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) in adults with type 2 diabetes who also take medicines to treat type 2 diabetes such as sulfonylureas or insulin.
- risk of low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) in children who are 12 years of age and older without type 2 diabetes.
- Signs and symptoms of low blood sugar may include: shakiness, sweating, headache, drowsiness, weakness, dizziness, confusion, irritability, hunger, fast heartbeat, and feeling jittery. You should check your blood sugar before you start taking Saxenda® and while you take Saxenda®.
- increased heart rate. Saxenda® can increase your heart rate while you are at rest. Your health care provider should check your heart rate while you take Saxenda®. Tell your health care professional if you feel your heart racing or pounding in your chest and it lasts for several minutes.
- kidney problems (kidney failure). Saxenda® may cause nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea leading to loss of fluids (dehydration). Dehydration may cause kidney failure, which can lead to the need for dialysis. This can happen in people who have never had kidney problems before. Drinking plenty of fluids may reduce your chance of dehydration. Call your health care provider right away if you have nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea that does not go away, or if you cannot drink liquids by mouth.
- serious allergic reactions. Stop using Saxenda® and get medical help right away if you have any symptoms of a serious allergic reaction including swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat, fainting or feeling dizzy, very rapid heartbeat, problems breathing or swallowing, or severe rash or itching.
- depression or thoughts of suicide. You should pay attention to any mental changes, especially sudden changes, in your mood, behaviors, thoughts, or feelings. Call your health care provider right away if you have any mental changes that are new, worse, or worry you.
- 1 box: 1 pen + 3 needles (32G 4mm)